Student Visa


This visa allows you to stay in Australia to study full-time in a recognised education institution.


You must have:
• applied for and been accepted to study in a registered full-time course at an educational institution in Australia
• organised appropriate welfare arrangements for the duration of your intended stay in Australia if you are under 18 years of age.


With limited exceptions, you must be enrolled in a course of study that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas for Overseas Students (CRICOS). If you are applying from outside Australia, you must include a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each intended course of study with your visa application. A letter of offer from your education provider will not be accepted.

You do not need to provide a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) if you are:
• sponsored by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade – provide a letter of support
• sponsored by the Australian Department of Defence – provide a letter of support
• a secondary exchange student – provide an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student (AASES) form
• a postgraduate research student required to remain in Australia for marking of your thesis – provide a letter from your education provider. 
If you are in Australia, you can apply with a letter of offer or a CoE but you must obtain a CoE to be granted the visa.


The genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement is an integrity measure to ensure that the student visa programme is used as intended and not as a way for international students to maintain ongoing residency in Australia.
The GTE requirement applies to all student visa applicants. The officer assessing the visa will and consider whether the individual circumstances of the student indicates that their intention is for a temporary stay in Australia.
You must satisfy us that you have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily. When assessing the GTE requirement, we will consider the requirements set out in direction number 69. To assess this, we will consider:
• your circumstances
• your immigration history
• if you are under 18 years old, the intention of your parent, legal guardian or partner
• any other relevant matter.

The GTE requirement provides a useful way to help identify those applicants who are using the student visa programme for motives other than gaining a quality education. The requirement is not designed to exclude students who, after studying in Australia, go on to develop the skills required by the Australian labour market and apply to become permanent residents.


Check your visa conditions to find out the number of hours that you and your family members can work while you are in Australia. You must comply with the state and territory laws of Australia. You should remember that, if you choose to work in Australia you have the same rights and obligations in the workplace as any other employee. You can find out more about your rights before you apply for a job from the Fair Work Ombudsman. 

Your visa was granted based on your declaration that you have sufficient funds to cover your living and tuition expenses in Australia. You must continue have sufficient funds to support yourself and accompanying family members while you are in Australia. You should not rely on work to support yourself or family while in Australia.

When you have started your course of study in Australia, you can generally work up to 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks. Students completing a Masters’ degree by research or a doctoral degree (PhD) do not have work restrictions.

Your family members can work up to 40 hours per fortnight, after you have started your course of study in Australia. If you are doing a postgraduate course, such as a Masters degree, your family members can work unlimited hours once you start your study. You must also be aware that under all state and territory laws, school students might have other restrictions on their ability to work.

Your accompanying family members aged 18 years or older can study in Australia for up to three months. If they want to study for more than three months, they must apply for their own student visa.


Work conditions for student visa holders-
Workplace rights for all visa holders working in Australia-